Monday, January 24, 2011

Superhero birthday party ~ Part 2

Food, for the most part, was a simple affair at this party. A few dozen sandwiches made with my strawberry jam and some organic peanut butter and cut with my Cut and Seal. They were served along with pirates booty, veggies, and dip. The only thing that I put any effort in was the drink.

I wanted something that would obviously enhance superpowers and so I frozen green Powerade in to ice cube trays, then put them in 7-up and added my secret ingredient... Watermelon Poprocks! (My kids had never had Poprocks before so this was an experience!)

The crackle and the colors were sure a hit with the Potential Superheros and parents alike... and it did bring out a few cool new super powers!

This was activity #1: Action shots!

Not everyone wanted to, but the few that we got were awesome! I look forward to playing with a bit of editing and adding things like "POW!" and "Kaboom" to the pictures before sending them to their mild mannered alter-egos.

Next activity: Superhero Bingo!

I made a bunch of cards with superhero Logos on them and everybody got to play. I included all kinds of superheros from Green Arrow to Mr Incredible to the classic Batman. Every kid won at some point and each got one of a superhero rubber ducky!

Aren't they cute?

The last activity was a BAD GUY HUNT!

Alex (my 14 yr old) hid 48 'bad guys' around the back yard and the kids got to go and find them. I was amazed and thrilled with Alex's inventiveness in finding cool hiding places that were also completely accessible for our preschool crowd. He did a great job and some of the cool spots made the game just that much more fun!

More coming soon to a computer near you...

signature

SHARE:

11 comments

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Terrific ideas! Super hero drinks, with Pop Rocks? - what fun!

ColorSlut said...

You are so talented. Great theme and it looks like it came off perfect! You rock girl.

Anonymous said...

I spy two little boys I know! :)

Alisa Didenhover said...

Would you be willing to share with me your superhero bingo boards? This would be perfect for my son's superhero birthday party! adidenhover@gmail.com
Thanks!

Lindzie said...

Do you know what font you used on the superhero bingo cards?

Twinny said...

You are amazing! Such great and original ideas!! I am not as talented as you are (not even close!!)... would you mind sharing the bingo boards so that I can use it in my twin boys birhday party? fabiana_hartmann@yahoo.com.br. Thank you sooo much!! Fabiana

Twinny said...

You are amazing! Such great and original ideas!! I am not as talented as you are (not even close!!)... would you mind sharing the bingo boards so that I can use it in my twin boys birhday party? fabiana_hartmann@yahoo.com.br. Thank you sooo much!! Fabiana

Val in the Rose Garden said...

@twinny, @lindzie, and @alisa - I made those up with symbols from google. It was a simple table in Word. I moved them around until I had enough that were different for my guests and then I printed them on card stock. It wasn't the easiest way to do it. I wish I had a perfect way that I could show you but it was more of a trial and error thing. Perhaps, since I am making a similar game for the Jedi party, I can make up a tute for that which will be easier.

Blessings!

Val

Val in the Rose Garden said...

@Lindzie - The font is one from Fonts For Peas. I love the handwriting fonts and generally use them for all my printing stuff. I even use them for my menus. :)

Blessings,

Val

tiffany lynn photography said...

hi
I came across your blog from another blog, and she mentioned she got her super hero bingo cards from you- are you sharing them? they are adorable!
Planning a super hero party for my soon to be 5 year old. thanks so much
tiffanylynn@hotmail.com

Val in the Rose Garden said...

@Tiffany Lynn - I do not have the cards, but I made them from super hero symbols that I got off of a Google Image search. :) Good luck and I am glad you liked the idea! They kids really enjoyed it!

Blessings,

Val

Blogger Template Created by pipdig