This beautiful piece in my living room started out looking pretty much just like this... but the doors only opening to strait out and we needed them to fold back to the sides of the cabinet. I had this grand plan of retrofitting a new set of hinges on this baby and it seemed like SUCH a good idea when we bought it.
Then I discovered that the bits that I had put in there were set up to have a recess door that was more 'recessed' than the doors I had on there, so we worked with scrap wood and rulers (like, cut up as shims) to put behind the hinges on the supports to make sure the doors would actually go on.
Then we had to put the doors on, a process requiring way more contortionist tricks than I have tried in months. Many things that required leaning, turning, and sitting all at once while trying to balance a large hand drill with a screw bit that popped off continuously on it and a door with a glass front that was balancing on nothing but two small pieces of wood to keep it in place.
It was really hard, but the end result is a beautiful armoire that lives in my living room, hiding the fact that I finally gave in and brought the tv back into the house after over a year of not having one. Thank God The Man was in a handy mood... cuz he got his fill of 'handy' and 'handy helper' yesterday! I love my man!
I think it turned out pretty darned cute, too!