Thursday, December 3, 2009

Handcrafted Holiday ~ Yule Log Candle Holder

A Yule Log has been part of the winter holiday tradition for hundreds of years. It has been used to celebrate Solstice, Christmas, or even Epiphany (Jan 6th, and the last of the 12 days of Christmas). Over time it has changed from a large log saved for the fire on the longest night of the year, to a dessert that is shaped like a fallen tree or log... usually doused with powdered sugar or chocolate. Yum!

This year the kids and I are going to spend the longest night of the year with out using any power and so decided to make a few things that would help the evening go easier. With that in mind, this Yule Log candle holder was thought up.

You need:

A log (ours is 15 inches long)
a wood chisel
a 1 1/2 inch Forstner bit
an electric drill
tea light candles

I know, just looking at that list, many people will say it isn't easy. But really. If you have the tools, it takes less than 15 minutes. And everything you need, you can find at Home Depot for less than $15 (and there are MANY other times where I have used these same tools as well. At my baby shower with Logan we used the tiny white pumpkins and drilled holes to put tea lights in the center of each one... beautiful!)

1. First, you chisel off the bark on one side of the log. You can do this with other things as well, such as a putty knife, or a box cutter. It is just easier and safer with the chisel so if you choose to do it with something else, please be careful!

2. Then you lay the log's bark-free side down, and make sure it doesn't roll. Measure to the center and mark. Lay your candles on it, arranging them how you want, and then mark the spots on the log.

3. If it is an odd number of candles than set the forstner bit in the center and drill away! If you need an even number of candles for your log, then measure from the center, and start at one of the center spots.


4. Clean it up with the chisel and perhaps a bit of sandpaper if needed. Then put the candles in and decorate (we used hot glue, holly, and boughs from the yard).

Light and enjoy!

signature

SHARE:

13 comments

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

This rocks!! Now if only I could get my hands on some fresh greenery, boughs, and logs around here in the suburbs and I'd be good to go!!

Lovin' the Yule Log!!

xoxo MaryLea (pink and green mama)

Petit Design Co. said...

Love it! now if I could just find a log!

Anonymous said...

Val, I absolutely LOVE this. So much that I hope to make it this afternoon. We'll have to find a suitable log from our wood pile. Thanks so much for sharing!

Simple Mama said...

This really is beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration!

Marina said...

This is really fantastic! I actually have 2 logs sitting on the porch that would be perfect for this project. When I first saw your photo on flickr, I thought I would have to use a band saw to cut the log, but love that I can just ake the bark off!

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Sheila said...

This was a very wonderful great idea thanks for sharing this we just may do this if I can talk hubby into helping me; this would be so beautiful and unique on our christmas table.

Thanks again bunches for sharing,
Sheila

TammyT said...

I am blown away by the amazing projects you do with your family. You have very lucky kids.

P.S. Thanks for the link to my blog. I was wondering if you could update the link, though? It's for the Just Enough and Nothing More blog. The new URL is www.justenoughblog.com

Thanks! And thank you for the inspiring ideas.

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Thanks Tammy. I updated the link... and thanks for letting me know it wasn't the right one. :) Have a great evening!

Blessings,

Val

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is such a great idea and so, so beautiful. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Amanda said...

This is so incredibly cool. I just love seeing other people's creative wheels turning, this is fabulous!

LiLa said...

very nice :))

stephie hicks said...

Love this!!! Stopping by from PEAR!

stephie hicks said...

Love this!!! Stopping by from PEAR!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig