Friday, January 16, 2009

Spontaneous Gratitude

This is a game I made up with the kids two months ago. I shout "Spontaneous Gratitude" and we all have to pick things we are grateful for... on the spot. At first, the kids came up with the most boring and vague things they could think of. "I am grateful for shelter", "I am grateful for nourishment" (thank you Alex)... but after a while, they were really being very sweet and cute about it, thinking of the details of life and having gratitude for those things.

"I am grateful for soda pop!" Alex shouts on the way to the airport last month, and Cyan pipes in with "I am grateful for straws to drink it!"

It has turned into a very sweet game and even when we don't have the whinnies, we will sometimes pop up with spontaneous gratitude of some sort.

So here is my Spontaneous Gratitude for today:

A blank pack of Moleskine book covers (that were being played with).

My favorite (and very well loved) sweatshirt.

A new book.

A new (and not electric) hair color.

An inspiring picture (in the perfect frame picked by yours truly).

This baby.

This girl.

This boy.

Scissors.

SHARE:

8 comments

Anonymous said...

Thats a really great idea. I need to do something like that with my boys. And myself. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Yep, looks like the same ones we had! Best Buy is one of them, I see! LOL!! Good that you guys are working towards debt-freeness too!

Jody said...

Awesome, Val! I'm going to do this with my kids (and my credit cards!!!)

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Hi Jody! Nice to meet you. :) I love the pics of your kids on your blog. :)

Beth, yeah. Some of them have been paid off for like a year, but we still had them in our wallets and that was an issue. There is no temptation if there is no card. You know? Best buy was paid off last tax return and we never put anything else on it. lol! But I am glad it is gone from my dh's wallet now. It makes it all so much less worrisome.

Val

Brie said...

What an inspiring post...we definitely need spontaneous gratitude here...will be implemented today!

And I will make myself post about the credit cards...evil evil credit cards.

Sarah said...

Great idea....we could use some gratitude around here somedays! I am thankful for scissors too...I need to use them. We got on a snowball last tax return and all the cards have been out and unused- with the exception of 2 dental appointments....haven't cut them yet though...

Dawn D. Lion said...

Awesome post, and I love that idea for a game. I totally want to adopt that one.

Crystal @ Semi-Crunchy Mama said...

What an inpiring idea! I'm going to start that with my son. Today. Now! Of course, he's not quite two, so he'd be grateful for Cheerios and tractors...if he was even able to understand the concept, that is. But at this stage in the game, it would be more for my benefit. I need to start being more aware of all I truly have to be grateful for!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig