Wednesday, September 3, 2014

No matter what… I still preserve food.

I am not sure what about canning is in my blood.  When I finished building the pantry, I openly told people I may not can this year.  I said it so many times that I actually believed it….  that was, until I got 3 bushels of apples just after getting two boxes of peaches…  It’s in my blood.  I don’t feel like myself without it.  I have gotten the recipes down to a science and I can almost do it in my sleep. 

IMG_3609

Canning is a beautiful ritual of the summer and autumn seasons.  The food is SO abundant here in the PNW.  You can’t NOT can, or dry, or freeze, or preserve in some fashion the waterfall of food you see all around you.  So and so has a plum tree they do nothing with…  the neighbor has an apple tree that drops apples all season long, your mother-in-law grew more tomatoes than she knows what to do with….  all free, just waiting for you to gather them up and put them in their proper place… because wet and rainy is coming!

IMG_3600

I wasn’t planning on it, because I built a pantry this year.  Isn’t that enough work for the food I put on the table??!? 

2014-09-16 008

I really wasn’t planning on it… but I now see that my shelf where I keep my canned goods is full of applesauce, tomato sauce, plum jam, apple peel jelly, blueberries, and peaches…..  Isn’t it nice that mother nature plans such a season for us?

2014-09-16 005

SHARE:

4 comments

Laura said...

It's true! An abundance of harvest just begs to be put up in rows of jars or flat packed freezer bags! I've preserved more food this summer than ever before. Nectarine-zucchini jam, frozen peaches and cherries, beef tallow, rhubarb, grated zucchini, apple cider vinegar, homemade wine... My freezer and pantry are full! Not sure if my blog readers roll their eyes when they see yet another canning post. :)

Eva E. Murphy said...

Wao! I must say you are very creative. I have downloaded this template, but I have not enough time to check details because I am busy finding a Btec Assignment Help service because I have an essay pending that is mandatory to complete on time. I promise I will check once I get free from my essay.

Nick Hunter said...

I remember those days when my grandmother preserves food for our family. Your blog reminds me of that time, and I must say that I like your tips for preserving foods. I would love to read your content because you shared creative and unique tips with your followers.
Best Dissertation Writing Service in London

Frederick Carter said...

I am no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. As we all know how much Bill of Sale being used. buy used processor

Blogger Template Created by pipdig