Friday, August 24, 2012

Garden Soup

_MG_8936

This is a lovely soup!  It’s perfect for when those nights start getting cooler and you want something fallish but still have zucchini coming out your ears in your garden.  In this recipe I used a can of diced tomatoes, head of garlic, and some celery from the store.  Everything else came from my garden!  And it was so delish I think I will make it weekly this fall, much to my husband’s chagrin because as many men, he doesn’t think that soup is a real food.  (I have used three fresh tomatoes and a tsp salt in replacement for the can of tomatoes and it is just as good, but I happen to have used all my garden tomatoes in an antipasto salad yesterday… so from the can, it had to be.)

_MG_8947

Garden Soup

  • Olive oil
  • 6 cups chicken stock (recipe here)
  • salt
  • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
  • 4 smallish zucchini (about 4-5 cups diced)
  • 1 head of kale
  • diced basil/sage/thyme to taste (I like about 2-3 Tbs of each thyme and sage, then 1/4 cup of chopped basil.)
  • 1 lg onion
  • 4 carrots
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 3 cloves garlic

Dice onion, garlic, carrots, celery and sauté in olive oil until carrots start to go soft. 

Add in zucchini, kale, herbs, and mix. 

When zucchini starts to go soft, add in chicken stock and tomatoes and boil for 5 minutes. 

Turn down to low and salt to taste. 

Allow flavors to mingle for at least 5 more minutes. 

I serve with rosemary diamante bread from Essential Baking or a fresh baked loaf of my own artisan bread right out of the oven!

SHARE:

No comments

Blogger Template Created by pipdig