Friday, December 9, 2011

A German Christmas

German potato soup and homemade soft pretzels anyone?  That was our celebratory dinner tonight from Germany.  The kids and I read about the German Christmas Markets!  How fun those places must be!  And the prune people?  It is said that gold and good fortune will always be yours if you have a prune person in your home.  (So where is mine hiding?)

_MG_4842

This was one of the easiest lessons yet.  Everyone was in a good mood, they all LOVED the food (ie: had seconds, and thirds, and then put cinnamon sugar on the left over pretzels), and we didn’t have a craft because we were going to make cake, but we were all stuffed! 

_MG_4830

I let Logan use a big knife for the project and although he has done it before, this was the first time I really gave him the job of cutting up something like the main ingredient of a meal and he did REALLY well!  I was super impressed with my little man today.

_MG_4834

All of my kids and I were in the kitchen at the same time.  Normally I would say that’s a recipe for disaster (just cuz we don’t have a big kitchen) but we all did really well and sticking to our own corners and the meal was amazing!

_MG_4838

_MG_4839

Then we read German folk tales from Grimm’s Fairy Tales (The Elves and the Shoemaker being my favorite) .

and Alex read a book called Cobweb Christmas by Shirley Climo

_MG_4840

We finished the evening with tea and looking at pictures online of the German Christmas Markets.

   

It was a super yummy day!

SHARE:

1 comment

Kimberly said...

I loved those Christmas markets while living in Germany - never went to any of the big famous ones (Nuremberg, Munich) being enchanted with the one in Stuttgart, my nearest city. It was always SO COLD but the smell of the Glühwein and baked goodies in that cold air, the snow on the ground, and the marketplatz all twinkling lit and full of nighttime shoppers . . . sigh. Magical.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig