It’s almost that time of year again! Time for advent crafts and fun.
This year, we are traveling around the world for Christmastime! I am excited to see what types of traditions happen in other cultures during this magical time of year. For some (Northern Hem) it is the coldest darkest portion of the year, but for others (Australia) it is mid Summer! The traditions are just as varied as the weather this time of year and I am excited to share that with my kids.
Our Christmas Around the World advent list:
1. Put up lights with daddy
2. Pagoda Manger & Fried Wonton cookies (China)
3. Fish tree ornament (Japan)
4. Metryoshka doll Christmas card (Russia)
5. Pamander oranges & put your shoes out for St Nicholas Day (Great Britain)
6. *Small gifts left in their shoes overnight* Christmas Party Crackers & Wassail (Great Britain)
7. Straw Ornaments and hidden bean cake! (Scandinavia)
8. Gingerbread Manger Scene (Germany) *only cooking and cooling*
9. Gingerbread Manger Scene (Italy) and making a St Lucy Wreath
10. Getting our Christmas Tree
11. Journey to Bethlehem!!
12. Shopping with daddy
13. Write love notes to parents to open on Christmas Eve (Greece/Italy)
14. Make a Christmas drum (Africa)
15. Make Christmas Stars out of whatever we can (sticks, straw, beads and wire... all kinds. Philippines.)
16. Celery Rose print wrapping paper & making S’mores (Australia)
17. *This starts the weekend of lights that leads right up to Hanukkah* Zoo lights w/ hot cider
18. Fantasy Lights w/ cocoa
19. Driving through Gem Heights looking at lights w/ warm honeyed milk
20. *Happy Hanukkah!* Dreidle for Chocolate coins and Challah bread. (USA)
21. We are sending a Christmas tree to a friend! (Canada) *cookies to neighbors*
22. Making paper poinsettias (Mexico)
23. Sawdust Ornaments (Guatemala)
24. Family Christmas Movie
25. Open Stockings!!
We got some ideas from our curriculum “Children Around the World” from Winter’s Promise, but many other great ideas come from free websites. My two favorites: