Friday, June 18, 2010

Strawberry Runners

I love strawberry plants! My favorite part about them is when you buy your first plants, you never really have to buy more unless you want new varieties, because the runners of strawberries will root themselves just about anywhere. I have been able to use that to my advantage every time I have built a new garden.

My trick is this little hook. It is just a piece of 14 gauge wire that I cut into a 2 1/2 inch section and I bent to this shape. I use it as a staple to put the runner plant into the ground where I want it. When it starts to root I just cut off the runner from the mother plant and I have a whole new strawberry plant, ready to fill in any blank spaces I may have.


If you don't want your plants where the runners can reach, you can also place a small pot and staple the runner into dirt in that... when it roots, just cut it off the mother plant and transplant the pot wherever you want new strawberry plants!

Happy Gardening!

signature

SHARE:

5 comments

ColorSlut said...

You are a garden goddess! Really ... you should write a book :)

Anna said...

What a great idea. We had a strawberry patch at our old house that sent shoots every where, so that the original 4-5 plants took over that entire bed. Loved it. We want to build a strawberry bed at our (newer) house and this is the best idea I've heard on how to "conduct" the new plants. Thanks.

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

SO doing this with my strawberries!! Thank you VAL!
I know I say this all the time, but I SO wish we lived close by.

xoxo marylea

Elizabeth said...

Oh I want a strawberry garden. It looks like your strawberry step garden isn't very wide. Can you tell me how wide it is and can mature strawberry plants grow in it? I don't have a lot of space, but this may be an option. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

You're so neat and tidy about it. I wish I was that disciplined. I just let mine take over, I no long have paths. I still haven't gone out and transplanted this years runners...although the heat would likely kill them at this point if I tried to move them.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig