Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kitchen Fun with kids

Sometimes thrifting can bring you to things that you wouldn't have even known to look for. Things you fall in love with.

This book is one of those things:

It is set up in a super-easy-to-read format (even for new readers), and starts out with a whole page on 'how to get ready to cook in the kitchen' that includes 'washing your hands', 'putting on an apron', and even 'sweeping the floor' when you are finished.

My favorite part about the book is the recipes. They are short and easy to follow, and are mostly whole foods. No Bisquick mix or tins of refrigerated rolls in sight! That is rare for a children's cookbook now-a-days. One recipe even includes molasses. That is a first for me, and I have looked at a lot of children's cookbooks. Maybe I have just been looking for them in the wrong places.

Cyan (8 yrs) made this cake tonight (with evaporated cane juice and WW flour) and it turned out great! So I thought I would include that recipe.

Start to finish, she could do it herself. She was OH so proud!


signature

SHARE:

10 comments

Kelly said...

That looks like a book m 8 year old daughter would love!

Tan Family said...

Fantastic! That little book is a treasure.

Unknown said...

I love old recipe books... this one looks like a treasure! Have a PEAR-fect weekend!

Luisa said...

That's cool never thought of looking into old cookbooks for kids. hmmmm :)

Anna said...

What a great find! I can imagine how proud Cyan was, I bet my 6 year old chef to be would love having the chance to do this. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this book. Thanks.

Deanna said...

I like your blog. We are very like minded. Have a great day! Deanna (via Pear).

Petit Design Co. said...

ok I found that book online but there isn't much of a description. Could you tell me what other kinds of recipes are included? Is it mostly baking/sweets?

Thanks Val!

Val in the Rose Garden said...

There are all kinds of recipes. Gingerbread, cornbread, cookies, cake, but also applesauce, fudge sauce, eggs, baked salmon loaf, circus salad, and jam frosting. :) Mostly sweet things... but a few that are not... and with the way it is written, it would be a great intro to 'real' cookbooks.

Blessings,

Val

Petit Design Co. said...

Thanks Val!

I'll be ordering this book today.

g-girl said...

what a great find!!! i'm gonna go on a search for this one too.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig