Monday, June 29, 2009

Local living days

Since my big market days are Sundays, I have an overabundance of good food come Monday morning. I came home with two bunches of carrots, a bag of summer squash and baby turnips, two heads of beautiful lettuce, a bunch of spinach, cilantro, parsley, 1 lb of garlic scapes (see pic at bottom), and 1 pound each Rainer and Bing cherries. And of course this:


I got STRAWBERRIES! After a long market day yesterday, my husband and I sat in front of a movie and topped, washed, and bagged 3 full flats of tiny, sweet, organic strawberries. I sigh with happiness just thinking about it. So good! There are a smaller variety that they grow at the farm I work for... they are more flavorful than any other strawberry I have ever tasted. They are sweet too... not like those ones you buy from the store (You know... the ones that taste like strawberry flavored cardboard). Those cold winter days where all I need is a taste of summer... they will be so much sweeter with these babies packed away.


Up next, what to do with garlic scapes and my new pantry shelf (my first built in!)!

SHARE:

2 comments

Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies said...

Mmmmm, garlic scapes!! When I worked at the hydroponic sprout farm, we would sell scapes when they were in season. So yummy!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

The strawberries look so yummy!!! That was an amazing market deal!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig