Monday, November 10, 2008

Dismantling an Inner City Homestead

This is going to be the hardest part of this move.

On Saturday we gave away our chickens. It was great and sad at the same time. We gave them to a family who has a GREAT chicken coop (that is like 8 times bigger than ours) with goats in it. The chickens just went in with the goats. So far, they are loving the little farm life. Then we dismantled the chicken coop while the kids hung out at their house for the afternoon. They had a blast and I am sure they will be over to see their pets again.

Now I have to take apart my garden and mulch the whole thing so someone else can take care of it. I will be moving a few things up to the new house. The red current bush, the blueberry bush (the little one), and a lot of the herbs like chives and tarragon will be coming with us. Things ok with shade. Sigh... that will be the hardest.

I have been thinking about starting a Alpine Strawberry patch somewhere as ground cover (they are shade loving... right?) and perhaps pulling a bunch of my mints and putting them in around the yard to fill in.

I am creative. I can figure this out. This is the only part of the move I am not going to like. But it is necessary. And I will find a way to get that part of my life when I want it again.
SHARE:

3 comments

Chell said...

aww sad about giving the chickens away. i am sure they will love their new home though. Moving is never fun but it sounds like you are goign to love the new house!! Good luck with it all

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've told you Congratulations on your new home yet! I do not envy having to pack up your current home, but it's a good way to start over and make changes you've wanted to make.

Purging is so hard to do, at least for me. Bless your heart for doing it.

Is your new home all shade?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if the chickens would be going with you. . .

As for the alpines, we have all of ours growing in bright sunshine. They are very hardy plants, though, so maybe they'd do well in shady areas, too. Though it isn't edible, heliobore (sp?) is a beautiful flowering plant for shade.

Best wishes as you create your new home.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig