Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Black Currents

They are a favorite in the garden. I have two bushes... one that is sweet (the one pictured) and one that is less sweet, but has a better texture for drying. I am told that in the next year these will cross polinate and make great currents for drying that are sweeter next year... so this is what I got. The plants are still small... if I get a cup of dried currents I will feel victorious! lol... but I can't wait until we have our own house and I can plant them in the ground. As it is they are in large pots in the garden area, making the corner look beautiful with their fruitfulness. I have a red current also, I will need to move it soon, but it isn't fruiting yet. I just took a bit from my moms old plant and put it in the ground. I have high hopes for next year as the red ones are Alex's favorite.


M. said...

They look really good. Great shot!

Val said...

Thank you!

Lakshmi said...

Hey you! Great new blog!

Currants are a big deal over here. I helped to plant roughly 2000 red currant starts this winter for our friends BD farm. They are doing beautifully and black ones are on their way for next year!

- Katie